Tomato Dandelion Salad
If you don’t know what to serve for dinner tonight ..
Low in calories with great flavor this combination of young tender dandelion greens and fresh ripe tomatoes is a great summer salad that’s quick and easy to prepare. Add goat cheese for extra protein and enjoy!
Prep and Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 1/2 medium sized onion, cut in half and sliced thin
- 2 TBS light vinegar (such as apple cider, rice, or white wine)
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 large red ripe tomatoes
- 3 cups chopped young dandelion greens
- 2 TBS fresh basil cut into large pieces
- 1-1/2 TBS balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp coarse cracked black pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil to taste
- 1 oz crumpled Chevre goat cheese (optional)
- Thinly slice onion and place in a small bowl. Pour 2 TBS light vinegar and 1 cup hot water over onions and marinate while making rest of salad.
- Whisk together dressing ingredients adding oil at end a little at a time.
- Rinse and chop dandelion greens. Place in basket of a salad spinner, rinse and spin dry. Toss dandelion greens with 2/3 of the dressing.
- Cut tomatoes in half crosswise and squeeze out juice. Cut into quarters, remove inner pulp and slice. Place on greens.
- Squeeze dry marinated onions and lay on top of sliced tomatoes and greens. Drizzle the rest of the dressing over tomatoes, onion and top with basil and goat cheese if desired.
Printer Friendly Version of Tomato Dandelion Salad
In-Depth Nutritional Profile for Tomato Dandelion Salad
Healthy Food Tip